Online Lectures on Bioinformatics
Analysis of individual sequences
Amphipatic helices, helical wheels and Leucine Zipper
- What are amphipatic helices? How do you recognise them?
- Access the Swissprot-entry of X BOX BINDING PROTEIN-1
(ac P17861 or XBP1_HUMAN).
- Follow the link to prosite and explore the function of the protein and the familiy it belongs to.
- There is a Leucine Zipper domain annotated in the Swissprot-entry (where?). Follow the link
to PDB and download the correspinding pdb-file containing 3D-structure information (PDB-id 1FOS).
- Visualize the Leucine Zipper domain by means of rasmol
(see also section on Protein Structure).
- Obtain a helical wheel presentation by means of this
helical wheel applet of
the Leucine Zipper domain you visualized.
Think about the function of the Leucine Zipper in the context of amphipaticity and hydrophobicity
of the residues.
Comments are very welcome.